It was a busy week for me! Mostly because this happened:
Although I finished my grad work earlier this spring, I actually did the whole robe and hood thing last Thursday. My parents, brother and sis-in-law all came into town to celebrate with me. It was a lot of fun because my former roommate and dear friend, Tori, was also graduating.
We lived together through our last year of graduate school, and we’ve been through a lot together: from thesis editing to break-ups to apartment floodings to ant invasions to bachelor marathons. She recently moved to San Diego, and my little heart has been aching without her. It was great to be able to go through the celebration of commencement together.
It was gorgeous and sunny, and we threw ourselves a little graduation picnic after the ceremony. It was wonderful to collect the important people in our lives around a campfire, give them mugs of hot chocolate, and let them get to know each other. My family stayed through the weekend and we spent time exploring Berkeley and Oakland, drinking lots of coffee, wine tasting in the Napa Valley, watching movies, and eating plenty of food.
Thanks to the folks who love me and came to support me! It’s been a long journey. And to those who weren’t able to be part of the party: you were missed!!
There is definitely so much to be thankful for! So, continuing the journey, I’m thanking my loving God for:
12. Safe travel for my friends and family
13. Hot coffee and slow, sunny mornings… the beauty of summer in the Bay
14. The peaceful, welcoming, healing atmosphere of Easton… open windows, creaky wood floors, reading nooks, greetings with strangers, cozy blue bedspreads, sheltering trees
15. A successful party, a talented friend, satisfied guests, true fellowship
16. Time to read, write, and pray
17. My students, who never fail to refresh and inspire me
18. All the folks who made it possible for me to finish grad school, to write a thesis and defend it, to maintain my sanity and grow my faith, even amidst the emotional chaos of seminary
19. My wise, supportive, understanding advisors Jerome and Karen, for getting me to the finish line and believing in my future
20. Laughter and community bubbling up in the least expected places
21. The drive through Napa Valley… it makes me praise every time
All photo credit goes to Victoria Pinto, M.A. and her skill with an i-phone!